“Good food equals good mood.”
If you are looking for some inspiration to put on a Bank Holiday spread for friends and family this weekend than look no further! Executive Chef at the Galmont Hotel, Adrian Bane has shared his recipe for the perfect Bulgar Wheat salad. Its both colourful and fragrant, a bowlful of summer whatever the weather!
Salad Bulgar Wheat (serves 10/12)
- 500g Bulgar
- 1.25l Vegetable Stock (light)
- 1.5 Courgette, chopped into half moon, half inch thick
- 200g Sweetcorn
- 200g Garden Peas
- 2 Roasted Red Peppers, sliced thinly
- 2 Red Onions, chopped finely
- 3 Red Chillies, chopped finely
- 1 Pomegranate, seeded
- 1 Bn Coriander, roughly chopped
- 200ml Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- Salt & Pepper
- Juice of 4 limes
- Dash of Tobasco
Standard of Procedures
- Add Bulgar to the boiling Vegetable Stock.
- Bring back to boil once, pull aside and cover with cling film.
- Keep in a warm place for approx. 45 minute until Bulgar is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Stir every now & again.
- Sweat off onion, garlic & chilli until golden brown.
- In another pan, sweat off the courgettes and sweetcorn.
- When all ingredients are cool, combine all vegetables.
- Season to taste.
- When ready to serve fold in the pomegranate seeds, scallion, olive oil & lime juice.
- Season again and serve.
This dish works well with chicken, lamb, pork, salmon or haddock. It also is great for vegans with a piece of grilled sweet potato steak. Serve with a spicy aioli, tzatziki or just on its own! It will please any and all!